Published: 7th December 2017 (9 days ago)
Job Title: Senior Quantity Surveyor
Location: Costa Rica, Central America
Salary: Neg NET Salary + Accommodation + Benefits
A Senior Quantity Surveyor is required to work for one of the World's most recognised main contractors on a heavy civils project based on the east coast of Costa Rica. The successful candidate will need to demonstrate previous experience of working largely independently on major projects in the heavy civils sector.
The successful candidate will be a knowledgeable and professional Quantity Surveyor who would enjoy a career as a QS working on major International projects with this employer. Whilst your first assignment (circa 2 years) would be based in Costa Rica, the hiring company perform work globally and the successful candidate would need to show flexibility and desire to work long term for the business on similar projects globally.
The project is a large Container Terminal based on the east coast of Costa Rica. The projects is already under construction, however it will have at least 18 - 24 months of construction before it is completed.
The project consists of reclaiming 40 hectares of land, dredging, soil improvement, 650m Quay Wall construction as well as associated buildings including a large substation.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will work as part of a commercial team of staff responsible for managing the commercial and contractual issues on the project. This is a mid management role reporting to the Commercial Manager of the project. You will work alongside another Senior QS whilst also having junior staff reporting into you.
Typical duties will include:
- Management of sub-contractors
- Assessing risk and opportunities in contractual documents
- Dealing with day to day contractual correspondence
- Managing variations
- Liaise where necessary with Commercial Manager and Claims Manager
- Cost Reporting and Forecasting
Desired Skills and Experience
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate exposure to major value civils projects with a reputable main contractor
- Successful candidates must have strong contractual experience and the ability to assess contractual documents and draft responses is essential
- Previous experience of working as a Quantity Surveyor on International projects would be an advantage, but is not essential for he ideal candidate
- Must have excellent written and verbal English
- Spanish language skills would be advantageous, however is not essential
- Candidates must be qualified to degree level (or similar equivalent) in a relevant subject such as Quantity Surveying or Civil Engineering
- Membership to a relevant professional body such as the RICS would be an advantage, but is not essential
Employing Company Overview and Profile
The hiring company is one of the largest and most respected construction groups in the World. They have a diverse project portfolio Worldwide. However are arguably best known for their ability to carry out major civils work such on projects such as Airports and marine work. They have a truly global presence with mega projects in the Americas, Middle East, Australia, Africa, Asia and Europe.
This is a fantastic role for any Quantity Surveyors who are looking for a sustained career overseas on major projects with a leading contractor.
Additional Benefits Package and Incentives
Negotiable NET salary (Estimated circa £45k - £60k)
+ Optional pension scheme