An extremely adaptable Mechanical Engineer / Project Manager with 23 years’ project experience of Systems Integration/ Installation, In-Service support, Sub-Contractor Management, Business Development, Design and Manufacture in multiple industrial sectors (inc. Nuclear and Defence). Has full project life-cycle knowledge from front end requirements capture (including consideration of Human Factors) to the installation and in-service support of products in use on systems as diverse as armoured vehicles & warships to specialist cable systems and nuclear Class1 systems. Making a successful impact in customer focused teams and is pro-active to company requirement. Focuses on safety, timely delivery, achieving results and so has provided innovative input for the future direction of “Blue Chip” companies’ product base with a disciplined work ethic, promotes change and adapt tactics to suit the situation for client business needs.
Delivering the Safety Case Report and Hazard Log.
• Delivering a package of work (for the DE&S, Queen Elizabeth Class (QEC) Strategic Class Authority), integrating the system and equipment-related safety information into the Platform and Aviation (Highly Mechanized Weapons Handling System) Hazard Log and Safety Case, ensuring hazards and associated risks are captured and managed.
• Identify the Safety Functions applicable to their platforms, systems and equipment and capture them , ensuring the through life management of the safety regime, safety case information and hazard log information
• Production of the platform Safety and Environmental Management Plans and Hazard Log management.
• Ensuring the Safety Function Model Report is appropriately tailored to include the applicable functions for the platform, and that the High Level Hazard risks with the highest probability, frequency risk maturity and overall risk are correctly captured
• Development of Guided Weapon Systems and technical documentation, completing Interface specifications, acceptance evidence and risk mitigation, whilst holding engineering authority for all sub-contractor contract deliverables. Generation of System documentation.
• Stakeholder Liaison developing Guided Weapon systems, processing & maintaining physical data within the appropriate toolset for equipment, providing technical input to procurement activities and development of system test schedules.
• Develop inputs for ship Safety Case considering manufacture, installation and In-Service Capability Management (ISCM).
• Preparation of design and documentation for Factory Acceptance Tests (FAT) and Site/Harbour Acceptance Tests (SAT and HAT).
• Develop and validate technical assurance, certification, qualification and delivery of AWHS design holding responsibility for developing the technical requirements for physical and functional integration, power system integration, ship services and interface management.
• Whole bid preparation (to £10M) for a major ID&C programme to aid a Defence Prime Contractor in the £150M system upgrade for the British Armed Forces, with concept planning/timescales, costs and risk management/mitigation.
• Technical contribution to consortium knowledge for bid and completion of Pre-Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ).
• Project Manage & Lead Engineer preparing the Hydraulic Enabling Arrangement (£32M) contract for industry, securing stakeholder staged sign-off. Pre-tender activities include; preparation of investment appraisal & business case, cost modelling, procurement strategy, risk identification & management, generate industry adverts, creation/evaluation of returned PQQs and down select successful bidders. Develop / manage project plan. Chair tender reviews with commercial, quality, finance. ITT/ITN activities include; generate requirements, develop tender assessment criteria and KPIs, evaluate bid tenders and recommend for successful contract award ensuring safety objectives/legal requirements are achieved.
• Successfully extended 2 running contracts (£19M &£26M) with full budget allocation and mitigation for challenge.
• Investigated a common periodicity testing policy for surface fleet hydraulic pressure relief valves where I created the business case for replacement as opposed to re-calibration, recommending the policy be investigated be carried over to all pressure system relief valves and pressure gauges offering a potentially £2.5M-5M+ annual cost saving.
• Create the Through Life Management Plan for LPH, LPD and Type 23 Davits, covering maintenance, refit/upgrades, operational deficiencies, capability gaps and full life costs, addressing all Defence Lines of Development (DLoDs).
• Provided engineering consultancy in order to support the issue of MHL technical advice to the UK RN and MHL Safety Case Report review programme. Manage review and update of MHL sponsored standards (Def Stans, JSP's).
Nuclear SQEP resource.
• Provided Business Development Management, bid preparation/tendering and front end engineering. Providing technical, nuclear safety, manufacturing and project management solutions. Client interfacing to source business opportunities/develop relationships. Concentrating on Plant Engineering, Fuel Route, Environmental and Waste.
• Delivered technical support creating the business case and project implementation, increasing capability and reduction of station de-fuelling times with potential cost savings of £90+million in the AGR PLEX/decommissioning programme.
• Undertook Pod-Boiler restrictor tube inspections identifying plant deterioration outside the standard inspection process and route cause, recommending future inspections and plant conditions to be held in during periods of station outage.
• Aided EDF in developing and management of costs, schedules/programme, engineering and project management activities for their rolling plan of maintenance & PLEX. Interfaced with function/technical leads and Group Heads ensuring solutions and programme achieve stakeholder buy-in; meet nuclear safety requirements and site license requirements.
• Conduct engineering evaluations, design analysis and implementation in the area of mechanical systems. Assist in programme delivery coordination, work breakdown structure, design activities/packaging, installation, outsource manufacture/tender selection, concessions and technical queries. Prepare equipment qualification procedure.
• Creation of the Bill of Materials (BoM) and equipment/components selection. Prepare tender/work packages for equipment procurement/manufacture. Provide technical support to procurement in development of contract packs.
• Create and manage I&C and Operation & Maintenance (O&M), Availability, Reliability & Maintainability (ARM) engineering /Integrated Logistical Support (ILS) / supportability and safety engineering documentation to support Safety Case.
• Complete field reviews during construction, preparing site instructions and field review reports whilst interfacing with the client and sub-contractors. Identify, manage/integrate activities to procure the Long Lead Items.
• Technically manage the integration of Mission Critical AAG into the baseline ship design and client requirements whilst ensuring delivered solution supports “Aircraft Launch and Recovery Equipment” adhering cost/schedule imperatives. System Integration and interface lead between AAG and QEC ensuring solution risk mitigation.
• Developed and validated technical assurance, certification, qualification and delivery of the AAG system design holding responsibility for developing the technical requirements for UK AAG architecture; physical and functional integration, power system integration & generation, control system integration, ship services and interface management.
• Created system demarcation, ship specifications, power conditioning & compartment specifications.
• Interpret US system diagrams, ship/system safety requirements and technical specifications; translate them to incorporate into QEC. Develop/approve inputs to Safety Case considering manufacture, installation, ISCM, whilst assisted Safety Manager developing ALARP statements. Liaise with US Navy Air/Sea Command and suppliers.
• Technical bid preparation (to £35M) for reprocessing plant, re-kit, decommissioning and SIL3 safety system contracts, complete with concept solution, costs, timescales, risk management/mitigation and hazard and waste-stream identification.
• Ensuring architecture, processes and procedures are captured so stakeholders understand technical tender. Working with stakeholders to capture objectives, prioritise requirements. Engineering and safety methodologies (inc CDM Assessment).
• Authored internal technical engineering design guides for a material processing plant items/glovebox.
• Delivered the design solution for 4 nuclear Class1 work packages (plant/equipment, facility) achieving sponsor requirements, through concept & definition design (FEED) to FEL GATE delivery. Provided engineering technical lead for design and system hazard identification within HAZOP studies. Derived requirements through stakeholder engagement, transferring them to design intent complying with safety functions for generation of safety case.
• Designed facility layout/installation, system integration specification. Interfaced with design house, design checking, routing (P&ID, flow diagrams, mechanical handling diagrams) and specification of building services and waste streams.
• Supported production to Safety Case through FMEA, HAZOP/HAZID for “on time & budget” FEL GATE delivery.